Sunday, April 26, 2009

Before Becoming a Commercial Real Estate Investor, You Must Answer This Question!




So you are a commercial real estate investor. Well what business are you really in?

I know that sounds like a funny question after we just stated that you are a commercial real estate investor, but honestly many new investors have no earthly idea what business they are in. Saying you are in commercial real estate is too broad. I want you to know specifically what services YOU can provide that make you money.

The services I provide don’t make you money any more than the businesses Donald Trump own will make you money. You must know what services YOU as an individual provide. In other words, what services do you provide that provide a benefit to the buyers, sellers and other commercial real estate professionals that you come in contact with?

As an example, here are the 3 services I personally provide –

1. I provide Down Payment Assistance (DPA) and Seasoned Assets for other investors;
2. I buy and sell income producing commercial properties and businesses either as an individual or with partners; and
3. I build unsecured lines of business credit to fund business and real estate acquisitions.

Before becoming a successful commercial real estate investor, you must define what it is that you do. What services do you provide?

I don’t mean the services you hope to provide someday. I mean, what are you really good at (if not an expert at it), and what services make you money? Picking the 2 or 3 answers to these questions will help focus you as an investor.

If you are new to commercial real estate investing, here is the hardest lesson that you will have to learn: focus for 90 days on ONLY what YOU do best.

For the next 90 days DO NOT do anything but the 2 or 3 things that you have identified as what “YOU do”. Now, I know some of you are already investing in residential properties, or forex trading, or any number of other business opportunities in an effort to make money. That is your choice, and I would not ask you to do only commercial investing.

My only point is this; the ONLY way you will make money in commercial real estate investing is by providing high quality value added services over and over again. In time you may expand the list of things that “YOU do”, but if you don’t focus in the beginning, you will most likely make NOTHING, and get discouraged. I simply want to encourage you to become an expert at a few things, before you make the mistake of trying to dabble in many things.

No new investor, or for that matter most experienced investors can not be successful trying to flip REO packages one day and the next day negotiating Master Lease Options on high vacancy retail strip centers.

Folks, figure out what services you will provide as a new commercial investor, and become an expert at each of them! Don’t try to be all things to all people.

For example, when people ask me what I do for a living, this is my answer:

“I buy and sell commercial properties and I provide private funds for other investor’s commercial transactions.”

That’s it. It’s that simple; one sentence. I do not tell them that I do Master Lease Options, or Subject to deals. I don’t tell them that I am a wholesaler, or I participate in Joint Venture Partnerships. Of course I can and have done all of those things and you will to. But this mindset helps me stay focused.

Why do you need to stay focused? Commercial Real Estate is so broad and covers so many areas, and there are so many other investors trying to pull you in a dozen different directions, unless you can stay focused and bring deals to the closing table, you will end up like most of the other wannabe investors – making nothing.

Well, that’s all for now. I hope this has helped focus you on the areas where you can make money.

Note: For those who have a sincere interest in commercial real estate, but do not know where to begin or what services they can offer, feel free to email me, or contact me through my website. I am certain that I can help. Remember, I make my living by creating profitable partnerships.


Charles Best
President
Emprise Commercial Services
Commercial Real Estate ♦ Business Funding ♦ Private Lending
http://commercialexpert.blinkweb.com/
678-755-0902 678-668-7443 fax

“We provide Down Payment Assistance for Business & Real Estate Acquisitions”

No comments:

Post a Comment